Archives

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Unity for the coding impaired

Been fiddling around in Unity, and as I'm taking a class during this summer (vacation is for the weak!) in game prototyping I'm hoping to broaden my skills in this field to more than only graphics, and maybe I can make my own games sometime in the distant future. Or at least be more all-round when making games in teams, as well as gaining a deeper understanding of game design and all that under the hood stuff that I usually let others worry about.

So far I've managed to make a camera follow the player, and the player can run around. I have some randomly roaming creatures thanks to a script from the unity community ( that rhymes. I know, I'm so crazy sometimes) I've added a song that loops, and some buildings and other objects. So it's really basic at this point, but the class hasn't started and no harm in getting a bit of the basics figured out beforehand, right?

There's no gameplay what so ever in the game I'm making, in fact it's the epiphany of a 'not-game'... game. It doesn't even have a story. Or any cohesion. The player is wearing a tie, there's jellyfish floating around, and farm houses from the dark ages are dotting the landscape, together with some wierd stones and a sign post that don't make any sense. in short it's lovely! seriously though, It might get some gameplay elements and stuff in there as I continue toying around with it.

Maybe I should explain the first bump in my road of ignorant bliss in the field of game prototyping, my 2D player in his 3D world needs animations for walking in different directions. It would be super easy if he was a 3D model like a normal 3D game, but nooooo I made him in 2D! just for kicks, it really doesn't add anything. Except it looks cool. I know it'll 'work' with sprite sheets, but I'm not sure how I can switch between animations this way. I've tried a method in Maya that looked like it should work but it didn't go very well in Unity. Bugger!

I also want at least something to do in the game. maybe add some villagers that roam around the houses and you can talk to them or something. That should be a start. I also want to be able to gather resources and build things, like cottages and tools etc for the village. I also need to make a song that fits the game, the one I got now is super creepy but the game is more of a cozy game, well, that's how I imagine it anyway.

Now I need to finish making a tree in Maya, and tomorrow school begins again!

So that's all for now, have a good one peeps!
*MWAH*

No comments:

Post a Comment